Though it rolled down the assembly line at Norwood, Ohio without a name or nameplate and with a simple six-cylinder engine, the car then known only as N100001 was destined to play an outsized role in the rise of Chevrolet’s Camaro and the late Sixties pony car wars, and it’s that outsized role that led the Historic Vehicle Association to add N100001 to the National Historic Vehicle Register.
After many months of secrecy, the first Chevrolet Camaro emerged from the General Motors Assembly Plant, located in Norwood, Ohio, on May 21, 1966. This was the pilot car, the Number 1 prototype Camaro of 49 that were built in preparation for mass production of a new kind of sports Chevy.
The team at the Historic Vehicle Association recently paid a visit to the U.S. Veterans Memorial Museum in Huntsville, Alabama, where the oldest known “jeep” currently resides: the 1940 Ford Pilot Model GP-No. 1 Pygmy. In the YouTube show This Car Matters, they take a look at the history of this important Jeep and even take it out for a quick drive.
Fifty years ago this week the first pilot prototype Camaro was built. To commemorate this golden anniversary, the Historic Vehicle Association (HVA) uncovered these little known gems.
This year is one celebration after another: BMW turns 100, the Lamborghini Miura is half a century old and the Chevrolet Camaro has also turned 50 years old.
- DriveHistory Profile: 1969 Corwin Getaway February 25, 2021
- A Tribute to Bruce Meyers – Father of the Fiberglass Dune Buggy February 23, 2021
- Jenkins VW featured in special episode of Cars That Matter Podcast December 29, 2020
- Articles (521)
- Canada News (13)
- Cars at the Capital (64)
- Did You Know? (12)
- Drive History Profiles (7)
- Events & Awards (118)
- Facebook Question of the Month (4)
- History (72)
- How the Automobile Shaped America (3)
- Interviews (1)
- Latest News (8)
- Legislative Watch (18)
- Lists (18)
- Media Coverage (121)
- Museum Corner (2)
- National Historic Vehicle Register (181)
- On the Tube (11)
- Photography (27)
- Press Releases (30)
- Research Resource (8)
- Road Trip Century Celebration (9)
- Stars & Their Cars (5)
- The Concierge’s Corner (4)
- The Roundup (27)
- This Car Matters (59)
- Uncategorized (39)
- Web Talk (5)
- What's In A Name? (7)
- Whatever Happened To… (7)
- Women in the Automotive World (1)